0800 002 5819 claims@claimrite.co.uk

When it comes to protecting your own home, one essential question often arises: is a fitted kitchen covered by buildings insurance? The kitchen is undoubtedly an integral part of every house; therefore understanding what’s covered when arranging buildings insurance cover is crucial.

For help with a claim on buildings insurance, contact ClaimRite.

Are Fitted Kitchens Covered By Buildings Insurance?

Also referred to as home insurance or homeowners insurance, buildings insurance covers the structure of your property such as the foundation, walls, roof, windows and other integral components. However, as a general rule, your fitted kitchen is covered by buildings insurance also.

Because fitted kitchens are composed of permanent fixtures and cannot be removed from the property, British insurers deem it part of the building’s permanent fixtures and fittings.

Does Buildings Insurance Cover Everything?

Your standard building insurance will typically cover a fitted kitchen, but likely will not extend to cover the contents and non-permanent fixtures in your kitchen, since its primary goal is protecting the building against risks like fire, flood, storm damage and vandalism.

Damage caused to appliances, general contents and personal belongings within your kitchen will not be covered by buildings insurance.

Kitchen Coverage Options

While your buildings policy may not cover every element in your kitchen, you can still pay for other coverage options to ensure its contents are covered:

Contents Insurance

For optimal protection of your kitchen appliances, utensils, and personal possessions, pay extra for contents insurance. This ensures all fixtures and fittings in your property are covered; furniture, carpets, etc. – including all non-permanent fixtures in the kitchen.

Add-Ons or Riders

Certain insurance providers offer add-on options or riders that extend your building insurance to cover specific aspects of your kitchen, like built-in appliances and fixtures for example.

Combine Policies

Another option is combining buildings insurance and contents insurance policies together into one comprehensive policy so that fixtures and fittings, such as kitchen appliances, are covered.

Everything Buildings Insurance Covers

For an in-depth understanding of what’s covered by buildings insurance, it’s essential to delve deeper into what buildings insurance typically covers:

Structural Damage

Buildings insurance covers the structure of your property from natural disasters like earthquakes, hurricanes and floods – including damage repairs in case your kitchen was affected by such events. You will be covered by buildings insurance if you claim for this type of damage.

Fire and Smoke Damage

Should your kitchen sustain fire or smoke damage, you should be covered by buildings insurance for necessary repairs to walls, doors, ceiling, or flooring damage.

Burst Pipes and Water Damage

You’re covered by building insurance for damage caused by burst pipes that lead to water damage in the kitchen, including any costs related to repair structural damage. If the damage was caused by general wear and tear, your buildings insurance will not cover the cost of repairs.

Storm and Wind Damage

Damage to your house from storms, high winds and falling debris should typically be covered under building insurance, with repairs covering repairs to roof, ceiling, walls and windows in your kitchen.

Vandalism and Theft

If your kitchen is vandalised, building insurance may cover the cost of repairing or replacing damaged fixtures and fittings. This may vary depending on your policy.

Impact Damage

Building insurance usually covers you for external damage to the structure of your home caused by vehicles and falling objects, such as falling trees on the roof or lamp posts. In such an instance, any structural repairs should be covered by insurance.

Explore Add-Ons and Riders

Some insurers provide add-ons or riders that can help tailor your coverage specifically to the needs of your kitchen. Here are a few to keep in mind:

Kitchen Appliance Coverage

If you want to ensure that any expensive kitchen fittings, such as an expensive refrigerator or state-of-the-art oven, are adequately insured, you can add specifically tailored cover for these costly items. This ensures fixtures and fittings are covered under your policy.

Fixtures and Built-Ins

If your kitchen features custom cabinets, countertops or other built-in features that need protection, inquire about adding coverage for these fixtures as this could prove invaluable if you need to claim on your buildings insurance.

Consider Adding Increased Water Damage Coverage

With kitchens prone to water damage, consider including enhanced water damage coverage in your policy to provide extra cover for flooring, cabinets and appliances should any leaks or plumbing issues occur. This buildings insurance add-on will cover you for repairing damage caused by major leaks.

Extended Theft Protection

If your kitchen equipment or collectibles are valuable, extend theft protection. This can provide coverage against theft or vandalism that specifically targets these kitchen items.

Benefits of Combining Policies Together

Opting for a combined building and contents policy can offer multiple advantages when it comes to making a claim for damage to your property:

Comprehensive Protection

A combined policy offers you comprehensive coverage for the structure of your home and its fittings, such as kitchen appliances.

Simplified Coverage

By consolidating all your building coverage under one policy, it becomes much simpler to manage your claim and assess it all at once.

Cost Savings Potential

Some insurers offer discounts when bundling insurance policies together, which could lead to cost savings in the long run.

Revamp Your Policy

In order to ensure your property has adequate protection, it is vital that you periodically review your buildings insurance policy.

Policy Provisions

Carefully review your building insurance provisions and exclusions to understand the scope of cover for your property, paying special attention to any restrictions or exceptions which might apply.

Valuing Contents

Maintain and cost an inventory of your house and kitchen contents, such as appliances, cookware and furnishings, to help determine an accurate valuation for insurance purposes. Keeping this inventory can assist in setting appropriate coverage limits on your contents policy.

Discuss Your Coverage With Your Provider

If you have any uncertainty or confusion regarding your buildings cover, do not hesitate to reach out to your insurance provider for clarification. They can offer insight into the terms of your policy documents as well as guidance in making informed decisions about additional buildings insurance options available.

Regular Updates

As you pay to make changes to your kitchen, such as upgrading appliances or renovating the space, be sure to notify your insurance provider as these upgrades could alter what cover you need.

Comparative Shopping

It is responsible to periodically compare insurance quotes and coverage options from multiple providers to make sure you receive the best value for your kitchen and home insurance needs.


While standard buildings insurance policies generally protect structural elements of your property, including fitted kitchens, there are various buildings insurance options available, so make sure you’re sufficiently insured.

Options range from contents insurance to add-ons and riders; regularly reviewing your policy with your provider can give you peace of mind in case any accidental damage or loss occurs in your kitchen space.


All content within this or any column, or via the free helpline, is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the Insurance advice of your own broker or any other insurance professional. Claimrite is not responsible or liable for any decisions made by a user based on the content of this site or the free helpline.

Claimrite is not liable for the contents of any external internet sites listed, nor does it endorse any commercial product or service mentioned or advised on any of the sites. Always consult your own Insurance broker if you’re in any way concerned about your insurance cover.